Annual Fund Donations
$75,000 Match Goal
Building Campaign Donations
$150,000 Match Goal
- The Aquinas Academy Speech and Debate team competed well at the Shady Side Speech and Debate Tournament. Clara Yuo scored in the top third of all congress speakers with 11 of 12 possible speaking points. Andy D’Angelo finished 6th in prose, earning his degree of excellence. Anne Dolan and JJ Ortiz finished with a 2-2 record and finished 8th of 18 teams in public forum debate. Anne also earned enough points to become a member of the National Speech and Debate Association. Congratulations, Crusaders! (Nov 22, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy High School is going remote on Tuesday, November 16 and Wednesday, November 17 due to heating issues. Please see the email sent on Monday, November 15 for more information. (Nov 15, 2021)
- Mary Osburg, JJ Ortiz, and Clara Yuo earned enough points to become members of the National Speech and Debate Association at the Moon Speech and Debate Tournament. Congratulations! (Nov 15, 2021)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy 6th grade and 7th/8th grade soccer teams on both making it to the Diocesan Soccer League Playoffs! (Nov 08, 2021)
- Congratulations to Coach Sullivan and the Aquinas runners on a great day at the PIAA Cross Country Championships! Alexis Abbett took home the 6th place medal, John Griffith the 16th place medal, and Carina Simmons placed 101st out of over 250 runners! (Nov 06, 2021)
- Forensics Novice Tournament results: Clara Yuo scored 12 points in her first tournament as an extemporaneous speaker. Harold Tarr took the sixth-place medal in impromptu speaking. The public forum debate team of J.J. Ortiz and Mary Osburg scored 21 points and finished with a 2-3 record, defeating a team from South Fayette and a team from Fox Chapel. Congratulations! (Nov 03, 2021)
- The middle school girls junior varsity and varsity teams both the DSL All-Girls Tournament Champions! Maria Ravotti was named Varsity Tournament MVP for her outstanding play in goal. Maggie Koenig was named JV Tournament MVP for her six goals and excellent defensive play. Congratulations! (Oct 30, 2021)
- Congratulations to Aquinas Academy High School’ Field Hockey team, the 2021 WPIAL 1A Runner-Up! The girls made school history as the first team to make it to finals. (Oct 30, 2021)
- The Aquinas Academy High School Cross Country team had a great day at the WPIAL Cross Country Championships. The girls finished 5th out of 37 teams (one place away from qualifying for States) and the boys were 9th. Qualifying individually for the PIAA State Championship are Alexis Abbett (5th), Carina Simmons (31st), and John Griffith (6th). Congratulations! (Oct 2021)
- Aquinas Academy High School field hockey won the WPIAL semi-finals game tonight 1-0 over Ellis! They play for the championship on Saturday. This is the first Aquinas field hockey team to go to finals! Congratulations! Go, Crusaders! (Oct 26, 2021)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy Developmental Boys Team (3rd-4th grade) on winning 1st place at Diocesan Cross Country Championships and to Thomas Bogdewic on placing 1st in his age division! The team’s first place is the first developmental cross country championship in school history. (Oct 25, 2021)
- The Aquinas Academy High School girls played in the first-ever playoff game as an all-Aquinas girls team! The girls had competed in playoffs in the past as a co-op with Vincentian Academy. Eliana scored the first girls soccer playoff goal in an Aquinas jersey and the team played valiantly, but Freedom won the game, 7-1. Congratulations on an amazing, school-history-making season, ladies! (Oct 23, 2021)
- The 7th and 8th grade girls co-op volleyball team is going to playoffs, after ending the regular season with an impressive record of 11-1! The team is a co-op between Aquinas Academy and Blessed Trinity Academy. The volleyball team’s first playoff game is Monday, October 25th at 7:45 p.m. versus Mother of Mercy (Blue team). (Oct 22, 2021)
- Laura Richthammer, Bella Hite, and Anna Myron have all been named all-section for soccer by the coaches in our section! Congratulations, ladies! (Oct 21, 2021)
- Congratulations to our high school boys soccer, girls soccer, and girls field hockey teams on making it to WPIAL playoffs! (Oct 2021)
- Mrs. Mitros describes Aquinas Academy’s model of Catholic education in a recent interview on KDKA’s Catholic Education Plus. Listen to the podcast: “Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh celebrates the 25th anniversary of its founding. A conversation with Head of School Leslie Mitros.” (KDKA newsradio’s Catholic Education Plus, Oct 10, 2021). (Oct 13, 2021)
- Congratulations to our Aquinas Academy High School students who were recognized by the 2022 National Merit® Scholarship Program: Alica Lenartova, Helayna Baer, Jo Knight, Emi Kartsonas, Sam Everson, Andy D'Angelo, and Nick Santucci! (Oct 2021)
- The Aquinas Academy High School girls soccer team is off to a school best start with a 6-2 overall record after beating Ellis 2-0 off two Laura Richthammer goals and a solid performance from everyone on the team. (Oct 1, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy’s grade 2-4 boys’ developmental cross country team is the North Area Team Champion! They placed first overall, with five runners being in the top twelve in the North Area Cross Country Championship. The boys’ junior varsity and varsity teams each placed 4th overall and the girls’ developmental team took 7th overall. Congratulations to all of the Aquinas runners on their strong show at the championship! (Oct 1, 2021)
- Congrats to our PIAA Foundation XC meet medalists, senior John Griffith (6th) and sophomore Alexis Abbett (14th)! Congrats also goes to the entire Aquinas Academy High School cross country teams, who both finished 12th out of over 30 teams. (Sep 27, 2021)
- Proud of Liz Russell, David Zaharko, John Bence, Sajan Sharma, and Francis Serrao for representing Aquinas Academy in the WPIAL golf qualifiers! (Sep 2021)
- Congratulations to John Griffith and Alexis Abbett, who both finished 1st overall in the Aquinas Academy High School Cross Country team’s first-ever home meet on September 21st! (Sep 22, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh is the 2022 Best Catholic High School in the Pittsburgh Area with an A+ overall Niche grade. Aquinas has been ranked #1 for 8 consecutive years! Congratulations to all who make Aquinas the best. (Sep 20, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh opened its doors on Sept. 3, 1996. We are 25 years old and still growing! As our enrollment has grown, so has our campus. Watch a YouTube video highlighting some of the ways our campus facilities have grown over the years. Learn more about the current construction project here. (Sep 2021)
- Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh is excited to be teaching a record number of 486 students this year! A warm welcome to the new school year everyone! (Sep 01, 2021)
- Six Aquinas Academy 8th graders competed in the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS) state competition in May after taking first place in the regional competition. This year, the students submitted audio files of their presentations to be judged, rather than presenting in-person. Earning first place at the state competition: Eliana BouSamra, Gigi Vangura, Nick Urban, and JJ Ortiz; and second place: Mary Osburg and Laura Greppi. Congratulations, students! (Aug 2021)
- The Aquinas Fencing team concluded their 2020-2021 season with an intramural competition dubbed the “Knight’s Gambit.” The tournament introduced a new hybrid sport created by the Aquinas team known as “Speed Chess Fencing.” [Read More] The game involved alternating periods between foil fencing and speed chess.
Several years ago USA Fencing introduced the idea of “Chess Fencing,” suggesting that the membership consider development of the hybrid sport. Chess Boxing was already a hybrid game invented in Europe in 1979. There was no real development until now. During the COVID outbreak, the Aquinas Academy Fencing Team found themselves without a season schedule and no outside competition. They began to search for new and creative ways to retain the interest of the members and allow them to compete. The answer: “Speed Chess Fencing,” a game where participants combined the two disciplines by alternating periods between speed chess and fencing. A proto-type game was created and introduced during fencing practice. Over a period of months, the team experimented with the format and refined the rules. It culminated in the “Knight’s Gambit,” believed to be the first competition of its type in the United States and perhaps the world.
Ten Aquinas fencers competed in a direct elimination bracket. Team Captain, Sam Everson, captured the first-place gold trophy giving him what is believed to be the claim to the title of the “First Speed Chess Champion in the US,” with his brother Ben Everson acquiring rights to the silver trophy. Varsity fencers Steven Giacobbe and Will Hoerster came in third to take home the bronze trophies. Other team members participating included Grace Burchill, Evan Gounaris, Hunter, Nadine Hokaj, Tony Shen, and Matt McGrath. Congratulations! (Jul 2021)
- Congratulations to the 2021 Aquinas Academy Outstanding Athletes of the Year, John Bence and Laura Richthammer! (Jun 2021)
- “Aquinas Academy Middle School students take a trip to ’Narnia’”(Triblive.com, Jun 14, 2021). (Jun 2021)
- Ashlin Knox is the 2021 Crusader Award recipient! The award is given to the middle school student who best lived out on a daily basis the ideals of Aquinas Academy and who consistently displayed diligence in studies, charity to classmates, respect for teachers, and love of God. Congratulations to Ashlin and to all of the middle school academic award winners who were recognized at the Middle School Awards and 8th Grade Graduation ceremony. (Jun 2021)
- Congratulations to Benjamin Stalder, the 2021 Aquinas Award winner! The Aquinas Award is given to the high school student who through academic achievement, love of God, and contributions to the Academy, best represent in daily life the ideals and goals of Aquinas Academy. (Jun 2021)
- Nathan Anthony was presented with the RPI Medal, awarded to outstanding math and science students. Nathan will receive a four-year scholarship to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute upon completion of application, acceptance, and enrollment. (Jun 2021)
- The 5th and 6th grade team finished as runner-up in the Diocesan Soccer Playoffs! Congratulations! (Jun 05, 2021)
- Congratulations to the 2021 Peter Hyrcza Award winner, Linus Burchill! The award is in memory of Peter “The Rock” Hyrcza and presented each year by Peter’s siblings to the fifth grader who models the saints in their everyday life, lives their faith in and out of the classroom, is an example to others, and is an imitation of Christ. (May 2021)
- Aquinas Academy won the 2nd Grade Diocesan Soccer Tournament, conceding only two goals in five games! Eddie, Danielle, and Zachary were named to the All-Tournament team. Zachary was also named the Tournament MVP! Congratulations, Crusaders! (May 2021)
- The Diocesan Varsity Track & Field Championship was a great competition and the Aquinas athletes ran hard and fast, setting many personal records! Highlights: the girls’ 4x400m relay earned the 3rd place medal; the girls’ 4x100m relay earned the 8th place medal; Grace placed in the 400M and 800M; the girls’ team placed 8th overall; and, Lucas ran a personal best in the 100 and 200m. Congratulations, Crusaders, on a great season! (May 24, 2021)
- Ava, Bridget, Lucy, and Tess brought home the 6th place medal for their 4x400m relay at the Diocesan JV Track & Field Championships! The whole jv track & field team competed well Saturday, giving their best in spite of the heat. Other highlights: Lucy placed 7th in shot put; and, Matthew Conley placed 6th in the 100m and 6th in the long jump. Congratulations, Crusaders! (May 24, 2021)
- Alexis Abbett and John Griffith ran great races in the WPIAL Individual Track Championships. Alexis finished with a 12:33.33, earning a 7th place medal! (May 20, 2021)
- John Griffith and Alexis Abbett qualified to compete in the WPIAL Individual Track Championship on Wednesday, May 19th! John will be running the 1600m and Alexis the 3200m. Congratulations to both! (May 19, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy High School girls lacrosse team won their first round WPIALplayoff game 13-9 over South Fayette. Their next game will be Thursday, May 20th, against Mars. Go, Crusaders! (May 18, 2021)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy Middle School on a fantastic job presenting three plays based upon The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis! Learn More (May 06, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy High School track teams attended the Butler Invitational, competing against top athletes in double-A (AA) and triple-A (AAA) schools, with great results! The boys’ 4x800 set a two-second Personal Record (PR) finishing in 9:21. John Griffith broke 5 minutes in the 1600m for the first time, finishing in 4:58. Alexis Abbett had a huge 3200m PR, finishing in 12:30 and 21st overall (improving by a minute and ten seconds). Annie Austin had a PR in the 400m in 1:10.6, Emily Veazey had a PR in the 800m in 2:55; Sabrina Knox had a PR in the Javelin; and, Charlie Dingle, Eion McKiernon, and Laura Richthammer all had a PR in the Long Jump. Congratulations to all our Track and Field Athletes on fine performances! (Apr 26, 2021)
- The Aquinas/Avonworth/Ambridge co-op JV Ice Hockey Team won their Championship! Congratulations to Jackson, an Aquinas Academy freshman, on winning the game puck for defensive play! (Apr 22, 2021)
- Vinnie Cugini has been selected to the Post-Gazette Class 1A Fab 5 team! The sophomore was also selected in his freshman year. The Fab 5 is picked by the Post-Gazette scholastic sports staff and is made up of the top five players in the WPIAL and city league from each classification. Related article: “Meet the 2021 Post-Gazette Boys and Girls Fab 5 and Players of the Year by classification”. (Apr 2021)
- Congratulations to Vinnie Cugini, Laura Richthammer, and Bella Hite, who were named All-Section for basketball! (Apr 13, 2021)
- On April 8th, freshman Jack Gillespie earned a spot in the boys’ WPIAL Division AA Tennis Championship! He will represent Aquinas Academy April 13 and 14 in Section 4, going in as the 4th seed. Congratulations, Jack! (Apr 09, 2021)
- Congratulations to Coach Max Petrosky and the Aquinas Academy High School track team, who had a great first track meet of the season at Freedom High School! The quad meet included Freedom, Beaver Valley, Rochester, and Aquinas. First place finishers included: Alexis Abbett (3200), Laura Richthammer (high jump and triple jump), Dale Hall (1600), and 4x800 team (John Griffith, Theo Austin, Eion McKernan and Dale Hall). (Mar 29, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy fencing has been closing out the last month of fencing season with a series of fencing intramural events. The first, the ”Medieval March Melee,” divided the group into four intramural teams each led by a varsity fencer. The “Melee” was won by the Swashbucklers team comprised of Ben Everson, Hunter Harrison and Sam VanVickle. The second intramural competition, called the “Templar’s Touche,” was a handicap event where the experience of the varsity fencers team was severely handicapped as they bouted with the less experienced middle school fencers. Each fencer had to fence a total of 9 bouts. Sam Everson won the gold with Jonah Burchill capturing the silver. Steven Giacobbe and Ben Everson were a close third and fourth place taking home the bronze. The final intramural session will end with the “Knight’s Gambit,” a “Speed Chess Fencing” competition where team members bout each other in a hybrid game of fencing and speed chess. The game is being developed by the team and is an entirely new concept. (Mar 23, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy’s 7th and 8th grade girls team competes at home against Archangel Gabriel in their 1st round of Diocesan Basketball Playoffs tonight at 7 PM. Go, Aquinas! Watch the game via live-stream on Aquinas’ YouTube channel. (Mar 17, 2021)
- The Aquinas Academy 5th and 6th grade girls team competes in the first round of Diocesan Basketball Playoffs against St. Therese today, March 16th. Go, Lady Crusaders! Watch the live-streamed game on the St. Therese Facebook page: Video Broadcast. (Mar 16, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy middle school girls’ navy teams are in the Diocesan Playoffs this week! The 5th and 6th grade girls' navy team beat Blessed Trinity in their tie-breaker game on Saturday 27-14. They will play their first round playoff game on Tuesday at St. Therese at 7:15 p.m. The 7th and 8th grade girls’ navy basketball team will play in their first round playoff game on Wednesday, March 17th at 7:00 p.m. at Aquinas. Go, Crusaders! (Mar 15, 2021)
- The 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team beat St. Therese 48-31 in an excellently played first round playoff game. Round 2 of the Diocesan Playoffs is Saturday, March 13 at 2:15 PM at St Louise de Marillac. Watch the live-streamed game on the St. Louise Athletics YouTube Channel: Video Broadcast (Mar 13, 2021)
- The high school girls basketball team made history this year being the first team to win a WPIAL section crown in any sport, the first team to win two WPIAL playoff games in any sport, and the first girls basketball team to play in the semi-finals. Unfortunately, despite playing with great heart, they were unable to upset number one seed Rochester in the semi-finals game. Congratulations to these ladies on a great season! (Mar 12, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy’s high school girls basketball team takes on Rochester in the WPIAL semifinal playoff game at Rochester today, March 11th, at 6 PM. Watch live Video Broadcast. Go, Crusaders! (Mar 11, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy Lady Crusaders move on to the semifinals with a 52-37 win over Clairton! Congratulations! The semifinals playoff game is against Rochester, to be played on March 11th at Rochester. (Mar 08, 2021)
- The Aquinas Academy 5th and 6th grade boys team competes in the first round of Diocesan Basketball Playoffs against St. Elizabeth of Hungary on March 8th. The Aquinas Academy 7th and 8th grade boys team competes in their first round game on Thursday, March 11th against St. Therese. Go Crusaders! (Mar 08, 2021)
- Congratulations to seventh grade Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh student, Mark Bence, on winning the school Geo Bee on January 29, 2021! Read more on page 11 of The Hampton News: “Student Wins School Geo Bee” (thehamptonnews.net, Mar 2021). (Mar 08, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy’s high school girls basketball team plays Clairton in the WPIAL quarterfinal playoff game at home today, March 8th, at 6 PM. Watch live: Video Broadcast. Go, Crusaders! (Mar 08, 2021)
- Vinnie Cugini finished this basketball season with an amazing 39.4 points per game average making him the 2021 WPIAL Scoring Leader! Vinnie, a sophomore, led the WPIAL in scoring as a freshman, too. Congratulations, Vinnie! “WPIAL/City League basketball 2021 final regular season scoring leaders” (Post-Gazette.com, Mar 4, 2021). (Mar 05, 2021)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy High School girls basketball team for winning their 1st round playoff game 44-15 over Jefferson-Morgan! Their next game is at Aquinas on Monday, March 8 at 6 PM against Clairton. Go Crusaders! (Mar 04, 2021)
- The Aquinas Academy Lady Crusaders compete in their first round WPIAL playoff game at home! The section champs take on Jefferson-Morgan at 6 PM on March 4th. Broadcasts begin 10-15 minutes prior to the game. Watch here: Video Broadcast. Listen here: Audio Broadcast. Go Crusaders! (Mar 04, 2021)
- The Aquinas Academy High School boys basketball team made history playing in their first-ever WPIAL playoff game on March 2nd. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until next year for them to play in their next, as they could not overcome a strong first quarter by number five seed Union. Despite the loss, it was a great season and the boys should all be very proud. (Mar 03, 2021)
- Cheer on the Aquinas Academy High School boys basketball team in round 1 of their WPIAL playoffs on Trib HSSN. The Aquinas versus Union game starts at 6 PM. Go Crusaders! (Mar 02, 2021)
- The Aquinas Academy High School girls basketball team is the WPIAL Class A Section 3 Champion, going 7-0 in conference games! Congratulations, Lady Crusaders! (Feb 24, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy High School basketball team WPIAL playoff brackets can be found on TribHSSN: Girls Bracket and Boys Bracket. Aquinas Academy Crusaders’ first round playoffs are March 2nd for the boys against Union, and, March 4 for the girls against Jefferson-Morgan. Go Crusaders! (Feb 24, 2021)
- Molly Gallina received an Honorable Mention in the Pittsburgh Public Theater’s Shakespeare Monologue & Scene Contest for her role as Ariel in The Tempest! Congratulations to Molly, and to Jonah & Linus Burchill, who were previously announced as finalists! (Feb 19, 2021)
- Jonah and Linus Burchill have advanced to the finals for the Pittsburgh Public Theater’s Shakespeare Monologue & Scene Contest! Jonah (Nick Bottom) and Linus (Peter Quince) will be performing A Midsummer Night’s Dream Act 1, scene 2 in the Showcase of Finalists of the Shakespeare Monologue & Scene Contest. The Showcase of Finalists will take place virtually on Monday, February 22 at 7:00 PM. The Showcase of Finalists will be streamed through YouTube. Anyone wishing to watch the Showcase of Finalists should register at www.ppt.org/showcase. (Feb 19, 2021)
- Vinnie Cugini is the #1 scoring leader in PA! Pennsylvania Basketball Stat Leaders (MaxPreps.com, accessed Feb 19, 2021). (Feb 19, 2021)
- “Led by scoring sensation Vinnie Cugini, Aquinas Academy boys seek playoff success” (Triblive.com, Feb 07, 2021). (Feb 09, 2021)
- “Tiny Aquinas Academy showing it belongs among WPIAL girls basketball contenders” (Triblive.com, Feb 07, 2021). (Feb 08, 2021)
- “Catholic Schools Are Beating Covid” (wsj.com, Feb 01, 2021). (Feb 08, 2021)
- Vinnie Cugini makes WPIAL history as the fastest player to reach 1000 point milestone, achieving it in only 29 games! Learn more: “Aquinas Academy sophomore Vinnie Cugini makes WPIAL history” (Triblive.com, Jan 31, 2021). (Feb 01, 2021)
- Vinnie Cugini named Post-Gazette Athlete of the Week. Read the Post-Gazette’s interview with Vinnie: “Post-Gazette Athletes of the Week: Vinnie Cugini and Journey Thompson” (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 27, 2021). Vinnie netted 55 points in one game last week and 52 points last night! Teammate John Bence, a freshman, also hit double digits last night, with 16 points against section 4 St. Joseph. (Jan 27, 2021)
- Congratulations to Vinnie Cugini for earning Trib HSSN boys basketball player of the week! Trib HSSN Boys Basketball Player of the Week for Jan. 25, 2021 (tribhssn.triblive.com, Jan 25, 2021). Vinnie is averaging 35.3 points per game and scored a school-record-breaking 55 points in one game. (Jan 26, 2021)
- “High school basketball highlights: Aquinas sophomore scores 55 points” (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 23, 2021). Congratulations, Vinnie Cugini! (Jan 23, 2021)
- “Aquinas’ John Griffith builds Marian grotto to earn Eagle Scout.” (Triblive.com, Dec 22, 2020). Congratulations and thank you to John! (Jan 06, 2021)
- Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh students’ accomplishments are featured in three articles of the January 2021 issue of The Hampton News: “Scholar Awards for AP Exam Success”, p. 6; “Aquinas’ Boys Soccer Dramatic Turn-Around From a Year Ago”, p. 8; and, “Aquinas Student’s Eagle Scout Project”, p. 13. Read the articles online at www.thehamptonnews.net/. (Jan 06, 2021)
- “Premier player series: Aquinas Academy’s Vinnie Cugini looks to continue high-scoring ways”. (Post-Gazette.com, Dec 30, 2020). (Dec 30, 2020)
- The 2020 WPIAL basketball scoring leader, Aquinas Academy’s Vinnie Cugini, is recognized in number 19 of the “Top 20 WPIAL Stories of 2020” for his 734 points with 35 points per game average as a freshman! “Trib HSSN Top 20 Stories of 2020: WPIAL freshmen make sudden impact” (Triblive.com, Dec 15, 2020). (Dec 16, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh AP Scholars in the news: “Student news: Accolades from across the Lower Valley” (Triblive.com, Nov 7, 2020). (Nov 25, 2020)
- Congratulations to members of the Speech and Debate team on performing well at the Moon Tournament this past weekend! Hunter Harrison, Liam Ellis, Gracie Burchill, and Maylee Clerici earned membership in the National Speech and Debate Association. Olivia Carr earned her Degree of Honor, and Maylee Clerici, Nicole Jerich, and Sabrina Knox each took first place in a round of competition. Sabrina took third place overall in prose, which earned her a bid to the State Tournament. (Nov 23, 2020)
- John Bence and Sabrina Knox are among the “WPIAL Soccer Scoring Leaders (2020 final regular season)” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Oct 30, 2020). (Nov 20, 2020)
- Congratulations to John Bence, a freshman, for making the All-WPIAL team for soccer! “All-WPIAL boys soccer teams released” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Nov 17, 2020). (Nov 18, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy has four WPIAL field hockey all-stars and honorable mentions for the 2020 season! All-stars: Maria Figucia and Emma Queen; Honorable Mentions: Isabella Hite and Emi Kartsonas. Congratulations, ladies! “WPIAL field hockey all-stars announced” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Nov 16, 2020). (Nov 17, 2020)
- The 7th/8th grade soccer team beat St. Kilian in the semi-finals last weekend in a penalty kick shootout 4-2 in semi-finals, with Jacob Guillen making two saves to secure the win! The team played top-seeded Blessed Seelos in the Diocesan Championship game, finding themselves up 1-0 in the first half. Unfortunately, they could not keep the lead in the second half, eventually losing 3-1 in an amazing game. Congratulations to the team on their second place finish and for playing great soccer all season long. (Nov 12, 2020)
- Congratulations to Alexis on finishing 11th at States! Related article: “Moon’s Cochran, Shenango’s Nedvit claim PIAA cross country titles” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Nov 7, 2020). (Nov 09, 2020)
- Alexis, a freshman WPIAL Cross Country medalist, is running in the PIAA High School Cross Country Championship today in Hershey! St. Sebastian, please intercede for Alexis to do her best today! (Nov 07, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy 7th/8th grade and 5th/6th grade soccer teams are competing in Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh Soccer League Playoff games today! The 7th/8th grade soccer team play their first playoff game today against St. Kilian. The 5th/6th grade soccer team won their first playoff game 6-0, advancing to play against Blessed Seelos today. Go Crusaders! St. Sebastian, please intercede for them to do their best today! (Nov 07, 2020)
- A fourth soccer player earned All-Section! Congratulations to Sabrina Knox, who joins John Bence, Alex Hyrcza, and Tommy Quinn in being named all-section for High School Soccer. In addition, John Bence was named the section’s Player of the Year, a rare feat for a freshman and the first time an Aquinas player has ever won the award! (Nov 07, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy’s 5th/6th grade soccer team, led by the defense and teamwork, won their first playoff game, beating Blessed Trinity 3-0! Scoring were: Connor DeWitt, Lorenzo Anselmino, and Matthew Conley. They next play Saturday,November 7 against Blessed Seelos. Go, Crusaders! (Nov 05, 2020)
- Three soccer players earned high athletic honors! John Bence, a freshman center midfielder for Aquinas Academy soccer, earned All Section Finest Fifteen for WPIAL Single A, Section 3 and Player of the Year! John is the first Aquinas Academy player to earn the POY award in the school’s history and is one of only a handful of freshmen to ever be awarded POY honors within Class Single A Section 3. Joining him in earning honors is Tommy Quinn, sophomore center midfielder and co-captain, who earned All Section Honorable Mention and Alex Hyrcza, senior striker and co-captain, who earned All Section Finest Fifteen! Congratulations to these talented athletes! (Nov 04, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy 7th/8th grade and 5th/6th grade soccer teams are in the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh Soccer League Playoffs! Go Crusaders! (Nov 04, 2020)
- The lady crusaders team took home the 2nd place trophy in the all-girls 5th-8th grade Diocesan Soccer tournament. The 2nd grade team also placed 2nd in their co-ed Diocesan Tournament! Congratulations! (Nov 2020)
- Six Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh seniors and alumni were awarded AP Scholar awards for their success in taking College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) Exams. Genevieve Archer (2021), Helen Rothfus (2020), Macrina Vollmer (2021) earned the AP Scholar award “granted to students who receive scores of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams.” Benjamin Stalder (2021) was awarded the AP Scholar with Honor award “granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams.” Anna Plazek (2020) and Samuel Schirra (2020) earned the AP Scholar with Distinction award “granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams.” Congratulation to these Aquinas scholars! (Oct 30, 2020)
- Alexis, a freshman, took the 7th and last individual qualifying place for the PIAA State Cross Country Championship, securing the spot by one second over the 8th place runner! And the Aquinas Academy boys team placed 12th out of 25 teams in the WPIAL A Championship, which means in their inaugural season they placed in the top half of all single A teams! Congratulations to ! (Oct 29, 2020)
- The Aquinas Academy High School Field Hockey team ended their WPIAL field hockey playoff run in the semi-finals with a 3-0 loss to Ellis. Congratulations on an amazing season, ladies! (Oct 29, 2020)
- The first Aquinas Academy High School Cross Country team under the Aquinas Academy school name is competing in its first WPIAL Cross Country Championship today, Wednesday, October 28th! Go Crusaders! (Oct 28, 2020)
- The Aquinas Academy High School Boys Soccer team almost orchestrated one of the biggest comebacks in WPIAL playoff history. Finding themselves down 6-0 at halftime and 7-0 early in the second half, the boys dominated play in the final twenty minutes outscoring their opponent 5-1 in the second half off four goals by John Bence and one by John Paul Calvino. Unfortunately, they ran out of time to finish the comeback, losing 7-5 to top-seeded Greensburg Central Catholic. Congratulations, boys, on a great game and a fantastic season. (Oct 28, 2020)
- Liam Ellis, a sophomore, received a $250 grant from the North Area Environmental Council to expand his pollinator garden! The pollinator garden at Aquinas Academy is a student-initiated project to establish an educational pollinator habitat on the school grounds. The garden will be used as a tool to increase students’ scientific understanding of the importance of pollinators, the factors that are causing the decline of honeybees and other pollinators, and ways that individuals can help protect them. Learn more about the garden, with photos, in Liam’s Pollinator Garden Description for the grant application. Related article: Pollinator Garden Grant...” (Triblive.com, Oct 24, 2020). (Oct 26, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy 3-8 teams did an exceptional job at Diocesan Cross Country Championships with many individuals medaling, the boys developmental team taking 3rd overall, and the girls 7/8 team taking 5th! Medalists include Charlotte Austin with 8th place in the K-2 girls’ race. In the boys’ race Zach Guillen placed 1st and John Paul Richthammer placed 4th. In the 3rd and 4th grade boys’ race Isaac Vangura finished 7th and Max Predis finished 15th. Gianna Vangura finished 8th in the 7th and 8th grade girls’ race. Congratulations to all of our runners on a great race and a great season! (Oct 26, 2020)
- Congratulations to the High School Boys Soccer Team and the Girls Field Hockey Team for making the WPIALplayoffs this year! The boys will play top-seeded Greensburg Central Catholic on Tuesday October 27th. The field hockey team finished 3rd in section play and will play 2nd seeded Ellis on Wednesday October 28th. Go Crusaders! (Oct 23, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh is ranked #1 of the Best Catholic High Schools in the Pittsburgh Area for 2021— the seventh consecutive year! (Oct 2020)
- Congratulations to sophomore Vinnie Cugini on being named the #30 player in the PA Class of 2023 Preseason Top 50 by PA Hoops Recruits! (Oct 16, 2020)
- The Aquinas Academy High School boys team is going to WPIAL soccer playoffs! Go, Crusaders! (Oct 2020)
- Father Rocky reminisced about students at Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh as an example of what devotion looks like in his “Daily Teaching Minute” for the Relevant Radio® 54 Day Rosary Novena. Thank you for this beautiful memory, Father Rocky! Rev. Francis J. Hoffman, aka Father Rocky, was instrumental in the founding of Aquinas Academy in 1996. “Day 29: Singular Vessel of Devotion, Pray for Us!” (Oct 06, 2020)
- Good luck to Adam Ohayon and Palma Serrao as they represent Aquinas Academy at the WPIAL golf qualifiers! Adam plays Monday, September 21 at Pheasant Ridge and Palma will play Wednesday, September 23 at Latrobe. Go Crusaders! (Sep 21, 2020)
- The Aquinas High School Cross Country team made history on September 15th at Pine Park, running in their first ever meet in an Aquinas Academy uniform! The Aquinas boys team finished first against section opponent Northgate and second to non-section opponent North Catholic. The top finisher was John G. who finished second overall. Due to an injury, the girls did not have enough runners to score as a team, but they finished second based on overall average time. The top finisher for the girls was Alexis A., who finished fourth overall. Congratulations to all of the runners on the team! (Sep 16, 2020) The Aquinas Academy High School Girls Soccer team scored three goals in their inaugural game against Mohawk on September 14th! Bella notched one goal and Sabrina scored two as the team looked good in their first game in an Aquinas jersey. Final score: Aquinas Academy 3, Mohawk 6. (Sep 16, 2020)
- The athletic program at Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh has three new Aquinas Academy teams for fall 2020: High School Men’s Golf, High School Women’s Soccer, and High School Co-ed Cross Country! Visit our Athletics Program page for a full list of sports offered. Go Crusaders! (Sep 2020)
- Aquinas Academy joyfully welcomed back our Lower School students on September 3rd! On September 8th, for the first time since March 13th, we successfully had all K-12 students back on campus. Thanks be to God! (Sep 09, 2020)
- “Aquinas Academy 2020 Graduation”— a beautiful tribute to the Class of 2020 by Aquinas parent, Jennifer Kurz, photographer of Aquinas Academy’s 2020 Commencement Ceremony. (Sep 02, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh middle and high school students are back on campus! Welcome back, students! We missed you! (Aug 31, 2020)
- Changes to the first day of school for the 2020-21 academic year were announced on August 7th. Grades 6-12 only will be in class on campus beginning August 31st through September 2nd. Grades K-5 only will be in class on campus on September 3 and 4. All K-12 students will be in class on campus beginning on September 8. Preschool for 3-year-olds begins on September 10th and for 4-year-olds on September 11th. (Aug 2020)
- Congratulations to all of the high school academic award winners! Special recognition goes to our 2020 Aquinas Award recipient, Samuel Schirra! The award is given to the upper school student who through academic achievement, love of God, and contributions to the Academy, best represent in daily life the ideals and goals of Aquinas Academy. (Aug 2020)
- Aquinas Academy fencer in the news! “Aquinas Academy Fencer Sam Everson wins the Western Pennsylvania Positive Athlete Award” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Jul 23, 2020). “Engarde! Fencing latest interest for Valencia teen” (Butler Eagle, Jul 26, 2020).
- Aquinas Academy announces its Reopening Plan in anticipation of returning to school five days a week in the fall of 2020. (Jul 22, 2020)
- Pedro Schmitt, class of 2020, selected as one of five Nordenberg Scholars at the University of Pittsburgh! Related article: “Department of Industrial Engineering Welcomes Nordenberg Scholar to Class of 2024”. (Jul 17, 2020)
- Congratulations to Sam Everson, named a “Positive Athlete of Western PA”! Sam was selected as one of the top 32 athletes recognized for the award out of over 1,000 nominations! Sam, a rising junior, is the Aquinas Academy high school boys Foil Fencing Team Captain. Read more: Press Release. (Jul 07, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh Yearbooks have arrived! Stop in at the high school office to confirm your pre-order and pick up your copy. Summer Office Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9 AM - 3 PM. (Jul 06, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy is pleased to announce that our Summer Programs are back! Register by June 30th to receive a discount. Please visit the Summer Programs page for the Program Brochure and Registration link. (Jun 23, 2020)
- Congratulations to this year’s Crusader Award winner, John Bence! The award is given to the middle school student who best lived out on a daily basis the ideals of Aquinas Academy and who consistently displayed diligence in studies, charity to classmates, respect for teachers, and love of God. Congratulations to John and to all of the middle school academic award winners who were recognized at the Middle School Awards and 8th Grade Graduation ceremony on May 29th. (Jun 2020)
- Alice Dingle is the 2020 Peter Hyrcza Award winner! The Peter Hyrcza Award is given to a 5th Grader and is picked by the lower school teachers. The recipient models the saints in their everyday life, lives their faith in and out of the classroom, is an example to others, and is an imitation of Christ. They work hard and are cheerful. Congratulations, Alice! (May 27, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy is proud to announce its Outstanding Athletes of the Year are Regina Liguori and Vinnie Cugini! Congratulations! (May 23, 2020)
- Due to the Covid 19 Pandemic, all Summer Programs camps that were originally scheduled are unfortunately cancelled. We will be posting a few virtual camp options in the near future. Please visit the Summer Programs page for future updates. (May 20, 2020)
- Congratulations to Macrina Vollmer, Aquinas Academy High School Head Prefect for 2020-21! (Apr 22, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy’s campus will remain closed through the end of this academic year in accordance with Governor Wolf’s April 9th announcement. School-at-home will resume after our Easter Break, on April 20th. (Apr 09, 2020)
- Congratulations to Vinnie Cugini for being named to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Fab 5 team! The Fab 5 is picked by the Post-Gazette scholastic sports staff and is made up of the top five players in the WPIAL and city league from each classification. Related article: “Meet the 2020 Post-Gazette Boys and Girls Fab 5 and Players of the Year by classification”. (Apr 2020)
- Vote for Vinnie Cugini for Mr. Pennsylvania Basketball! Vinnie, an Aquinas Academy freshman, finished the regular season with 734 points and a 35 points per game average to make him the WPIAL Boys Basketball 2020 regular season scoring leader! Voting for the Tremendous Twenty-Five will be selected on April 5th, the Terrific Ten on April 20th, and the Finalists on May 5th, so keep voting! For more information about the Mr. Pennsylvania Basketball Award, visit www.paball.com. For the online ballot, visit Mr. PA Basketball Voting. (Mar 30, 2020)
- While there is still uncertainty about how long the school-at-home order may be in effect, our students can expect to be working from home through at least April 8th, followed by the Easter Break from Holy Thursday, April 9th through Sunday, April 19th. The possibility exists that the length of school-at-home may be extended again by the Governor's decree. (Mar 28, 2020)
- Easter Break is Still On! Aquinas Academy is still going to have its originally scheduled Easter Break from April 9–17. Whether we will be back on campus before that remains to be seen, as the earliest date for Aquinas Academy’s campus to re-open is now April 6th. (Mar 25, 2020)
- The Governor of Pennsylvania has required all schools to close for 10 business days (two weeks), at which time the situation will be re-assessed. Aquinas Academy’s campus will be closed at least through March 29. Faculty will have an in-service on Monday, March 16. Remote instruction for students will begin on Wednesday, March 18. More information will be emailed to families on Monday, March 16. All athletic and extracurricular events are suspended until it is deemed safe to have school and resume activities. (Mar 13, 2020)
- Congratulations to the High School Girls Basketball team for making the PIAA State Basketball Playoffs! They finished as the number 5 seed in District 7 and will tip-off against Shanksville on Saturday March 7th at 4:00 pm at the University of Pittsburgh – Johnstown. (Mar 2020)
- Thank you to all who made a cake for Cakes for Life, and to all those who voted. We raised a total of $792.68 to support Birthrite! Congratulations to the following winners: 1st) TikTok cake; 2nd) Pancakes cake; 3rd) Legos and Blueberries cake; and 4th) Nike Shoe. (Feb 2020)
- Congratulations to Sam Schirra for swimming his fourth and final WPIAL Swimming Championships well, dropping 2.59 seconds for a personal best of 2:12.05 in the 200 IM and dropping .90 seconds for a season best of 58.17 seconds in the 100 butterfly. (Feb 27, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy’s FTC robotics team has qualified for and is competing in both the Pennsylvania State Competition (Feb 29-Mar 1) and the Ohio State Competition (March 13/14), with the hopes of qualifying for the World Championships! (Feb 2020)
- Coach Chris Lebakken is quoted in regard to how the Aquinas Academy high school girls basketball team came back to win their first round playoff game in the “Aquinas Academy” section of this Post-Gazette Article by Ed Phillipps. (Post-Gazette.com, Feb 20, 2020). (Feb 2020)
- Congratulations to the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team for making the Diocesan basketball playoffs as the fifth seed! They will play in the first round of the Diocesan playoffs on Sunday, February 23 at 2:15 p.m. against St Louise de Marillac (fourth seed) at Central Catholic. Congratulations! (Feb 19, 2020)
- “Monessen holds Aquinas Academy scoreless in 1st quarter but loses” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Feb 18, 2020). The Aquinas Academy Girls Basketball team moves on to the 2nd round of WPIAL playoffs where they will compete against #1 Rochester, this Friday, February 21st. Go Crusaders! (Feb 19, 2020)
- The High School Girls Basketball team won their first round WPIAL playoff game last night over #8 Monessen in a game for the ages, to advance to the second round. After finding themselves down 17-3 at the end of the first half, they scored 19 points to bring the game within one in the third quarter. They finished the comeback in the fourth, outscoring Monessen 31-13 in the second half, to win the game 34-30 in what was truly one of the best comebacks. Emi Kartsonas led the scoring with 13 and Laura Richthammer hit three 3 pointers in the third, to spark the comeback. A special shout out goes to the fans in attendance, who gave the team the extra boost they needed with shouts of “DEFENSE” and timely cheering to help propel the team to victory. (Feb 19, 2020)
- Congratulations to the 5th and 6th grade boys basketball team on making Diocesan Playoffs! They play their first round playoff game Wednesday 2/19 at 7:15 pm at Aquinas Academy. (Feb 18, 2020)
- The Aquinas Academy vs Monessen will be broadcast live beginning at 4:50 p.m. today, February 18th, on tribhssn.triblive.com for those who are unable to cheer our Lady Crusaders on to victory in person. (Feb 18, 2020)
- Samantha Falcon (Thisbe), Aurora Predis (Moonshine/Prologue), Alice Dingle (Wall), Brigid Mercer (Lion), and Mira Greca (Pyramus) of Aquinas Academy performed their scene from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in the Pittsburgh Public Theater Showcase of Finalists, tying for first place in the Lower Division Scene category! This year’s Shakespeare Monologue & Scene Contest included 110 schools and over 1000 student participants. Congratulations, ladies! (Feb 18, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy Lady Crusaders in the News, including “Players to Watch” sophomore Elizabeth Russell! “Westmoreland County basketball playoff preview capsules: Games for Feb. 18, 2020” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Feb 17, 2020). Go Crusaders! (Feb 18, 2020)
- Vinnie Cugini, 9th grade, finished the regular season with 734 points and a 35 points per game average to make him the Boys Basketball 2020 regular season scoring leader! “WPIAL/City League basketball 2020 regular season scoring leaders” (Post-Gazette.com, Feb 13, 2020). Congratulations, Vinnie! (Feb 2020)
- Aquinas Academy was well represented at the Pittsburgh Public Theater Shakespeare Competition! Samantha Falcon (Thisbe), Aurora Predis (Moonshine/Prologue), Alice Dingle (Wall), Brigid Mercer (Lion), and Mira Greca (Pyramus) were named 2020 Finalists for their Lower Division Scene from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”! Students in three categories received Honorable Mention: Meriwether McCargo, Ava Repasky, and Maria Repasky (Fairy, Titania, Bottom) for their Lower Division Scene from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”; Steven Giacobbe (Henry) for his Upper Division Monologue from "Henry V"; Susan Meland, Catherine Richthammer, Regina Liguori, Anna Plazek, Helen Rothfus, and Sam Schirra (Flute, Starveling, Snug, Quince, Snout, Bottom) for their Upper Division Scene from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”. The Showcase of Finalists will be held on February 17, 2020. Congratulations! (Feb 14, 2020)
- The Aquinas Academy High School girls basketball team mades the WPIAL basketball playoffs for the third year in a row! The team competes in its first playoff game on February 18th against Monessen. Go Crusaders! (Feb 12, 2020)
- Fourth grade held a very successful bake sale for Children’s Hospital Free Care Fund! “How sweet it was that on this World Day of the Sick, celebrated every year on the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, our students coincidentally reached out to help. The seed was planted in our discussion on the Corporal Works of Mercy and took root among a small group of girls. They went to Mrs. Mitros and proposed the idea of raising money for sick children. With her blessing, they energized their classmates, parents, grandparents, aunts, teachers, and babysitters to make a good idea into a reality!” ˜ Ms. Crawford, 4th grade teacher (Feb 11, 2020)
- “Aquinas Academy crowns 2020 GeoBee champion - Hampton Journal” (triblive.com, Feb 8, 2020). (Mar 8, 2021)
- Congratulations to Samuel Schirra, a senior, who will represent Aquinas Academy at WPIAL Swimming Championships for his fourth consecutive year! The WPIAL Championships are held the last week of February. Go Crusaders’ Swimming! (Feb 2020)
- Congratulations to Aquinas Academy freshman Vinnie Cugini on his 35.3 average points per game, keeping him at the top of the WPIAL Scoring Leaders! “WPIAL/City League basketball scoring leaders (through Feb. 2, 2020)” (Post-Gazette.com, Feb 6, 2020).
- Aquinas Academy was well-represented and placed very well at the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science Region 7 Competition at Duquesne University. Aquinas had 13 eighth grade participants, and 1 ninth grade participant. Congratulations to our students for the following achievements. Awarded 2nd place: Annie Austin, Abigail Stalder, Clare O'Connell; Awarded 1st place: Emily Veazey, Sofia Flati, Chase Harrison, Alexa Queen, Ben Everson, Jordan Mikec, Sajan Sharma, Josh Schlemmer, Jackson Vollmer, Duran Lurie and Annie Wang (9th grade). Eight students won special recognition awards: Annie Wang (2 awards), Emily Veazey (2 awards), Jordan Mikec (2 awards), Jackson Vollmer, Josh Schlemmer, Ben Everson, Clare O’Connell, and Chase Harrison. Congratulations! (Feb 1, 2020)
- Congratulations to Michael Greppi, grade 5, who was the winner of this year’s Geography Bee at the school level. The other finalist, after several rounds, was Sam Ennis, Grade 4. Each of the contestants from grades 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 (2 from each grade) did an outstanding job, answering questions about countries, rivers, states, and cities under pressure. Michael will next submit his answers to a written geography exam to see if he advances to the state geography bee. (Jan 2020)
- Aquinas Academy freshman Vinnie Cugini still at the top of the WPIAL Scoring Leaders! Congrats to Vinnie on his amazing 34.2 average points per game! “WPIAL/City League basketball scoring leaders (through Jan. 26, 2020)” (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 30, 2020).
- The Post-Gazette praises the beautiful a capella performance of the National Anthem by Aquinas Academy students Isabella, Anna, and Catherine in the January 31st Varsity Extra section. View Featured Section (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 31, 2020).
- The Post-Gazette Varsity Extra Scouting Report section features Aquinas Academy basketball standout Vinnie Cugini! View Featured Section (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 31, 2020).
- The Aquinas Academy WonderBots robotics team going to States again! The team had a great last qualifier with lots of awards: 3rd Place Alliance Captain; 3rd Place Control Award; 1st Place Design Award; 3rd Place Innovate Award; 2nd Place Connect Award, and the 2nd Place Inspire Award. Best of luck at States, WonderBots! (Jan 2020)
- “Vinnie Cugini is a freshman scoring sensation averaging 33 points” (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 23, 2020).
- “Aquinas Academy Crusaders fencing teams are building traditions, life skills” (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 23, 2020).
- Aquinas Academy and Community Day School 8th grade students spent Dr. Martin Luther King Day together packing bags of food for Outreached Arms™ to use to feed Pittsburgh’s inner city homeless and working poor. (Jan 21, 2020)
- Aquinas Academy freshman basketball player Vinnie Cugini recognized as the “Trib HSSN boys basketball player of the week — Week ending Jan. 18, 2020” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Jan 20, 2020).
- “Freshman Vinnie Cugini leads potent offense for Aquinas boys basketball” (tribhssn.triblive.com, Jan 18, 2020).
- Aquinas Academy freshman Vinnie Cugini is the leading scorer in the WPIAL basketball league! Related article: WPIAL/City League basketball scoring leaders (through Jan. 12, 2020) (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 16, 2020).
- Congratulations to Vinnie Cugini for earning TribHSSN Player of the Week— Honorable Mention after scoring 35, 29, and 40 points in the Crusaders’ basketball games last week! Related article: Trib HSSN boys basketball player of the week — Week ending Jan. 11, 2020 (tribhssn.triblive.com, Jan 13, 2020).
- Aquinas Academy freshman Vinnie Cugini is one of the top three scorers in the WPIAL basketball league! Related article: WPIAL/City League basketball scoring leaders (through Jan. 5, 2020) (Post-Gazette.com, Jan 9, 2020).
- Proud of our high school boys team, who defeated section team St. Joseph 76-73 to get their first WPIAL Basketball Section win in school history! They made us twice as proud for also wearing special t-shirts to show their support for Eli, a St. Joseph student who has Ewing’s sarcoma. (Jan 08, 2019)
- Congratulations to the 5th and 6th grade boys basketball team for placing second in the Sacred Heart Basketball Tournament over Christmas break. (Jan 2020)
- Aquinas Academy fencing finds strength in numbers" (tribhssn.triblive.com, Dec 27, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy seniors Anna P., Helen Rothfus, Samuel Schirra, and Pedro Schmitt each received the 2019 AP Scholar Award for their success on AP Exams taken in their sophomore and junior years. AP Scholar designation is “granted to students who receive scores of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams” according to College Board. The four seniors are taking additional AP classes at Aquinas Academy during their senior year and have the opportunity of earning a higher distinction after AP testing in the spring of 2020. In additon, twelve Aquinas Academy graduates from the Class of 2019 have also earned AP Scholar Awards after completing their AP Exams in the spring of 2019. [Read More] Louis D’Angelo, Harry Hardman, and Anthony Hite were awarded the AP Scholar designation. Alejandro Garcia earned AP Scholar with Honor “granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams.” The following graduates earned AP Scholar with Distinction “granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams:” Susan Austin, Mary Bence, Elizabeth Blume, Grace Fort, Margaret Maglio, Katherine O’Connell, Ella Stewart, and Anneliese Truschel. Congratulations, scholars! (Dec 2019)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy band students who auditioned and were chosen for the Diocesan Honors Band: Mikaela Canzian, flute; Ava Lesnefsky, flute; Benjamin Everson, clarinet; Felicity Koble, clarinet; Christopher Glatz, clarinet; Lucas Conley, saxophone; Jonas Burchill, trumpet; Abigail Irvin, trumpet; Joshua Schlemmer, horn; Bill Gallina, tuba; and, Chase Harrison, bells. (Dec 2019)
- The Aquinas Academy Model EU Club traveled to the University of Pittsburgh for their High School Model European Union, hosted by the European Studies Center. Aquinas Academy competed with students from approximately fifteen area high schools, with the prompts focusing on EU-China relations on the issues of human rights, security, and foreign policy. The students demonstrated an excellent grasp of parliamentary procedure over a demanding six hour conference with multiple sessions! Participating from Aquinas were Senior: Pedro Schmitt; Juniors: Riley Fantini, Diego Garcia, Isabelle Tessier, Kate McLaughlin and Grant Kaercher; and, Sophomores: Emma Queen, Patricia Blume, Sabrina Knox, Samuel Everson, Maria Figucia, Katelyn Buchanan, Alicia Lenartova, and Anna Keverline. Great job, Crusaders! (Dec 2019)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy high school boys and girls basketball teams on very impressive starts to the season in their Tip-Off Tournaments. Both Aquinas teams advanced to the Championship games after big wins on Friday. The girls’ team finished runner-up to Winchester Thurston in the Championship game 31-20 in a well played battle against a top ranked team. The boys’ team won the Championship for the second year in a row! (Dec 09, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy performs ‘Anything Goes’. (hampton.triblive.com, Dec 03, 2019)
- Congratulations to Gina Liguori (top goal keeper), Emi Kartsonas, and Emma Queen for being selected all-WPIAL for field hockey this season. (Nov 2019)
- Matt Flynn,a senior, was named WPIAL Soccer All-Section Honorable Mention! Congratulations, Matt! (Nov 2019)
- The high school girls cross country team wrapped up their season at the PIAA State Cross Country Championship. The team finished 11th overall in a very competitive field. Lily Hynds (87th overall with a time of 23:32) and Trishy Blume (96th overall with a time of 24:02) represented the school and the team very well. Congratulations on a great season! (Nov 02, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy’s 7th and 8th grade soccer team was its Diocesan Soccer League section winner! The team conceded only five goals all season, winning the section with an 8-0 record! The 5th and 6th grade soccer team ended the season 12-2-2 and outscored their opponents 64-23. Congratulations to both teams on great seasons. (Nov 2019)
- Congratulations to Matthew Flynn and Jackson Vollmer, both of whom were recognized over the weekend in the Pittsburgh Catholic newspaper as the Aquinas Academy Outstanding Students in Catholic Schools, Matt in High School and Jackson in Middle School. (Oct 30, 2019)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy 6th and 7th Grade Girls Soccer team on winning the DSL All-Girl Varsity Championship and the Aquinas Academy 4th Grade team on winning the 4th Grade Developmental Tournament Championship! (Oct 26, 2019)
- The Aquinas Academy 5th/6th and 7th/8th grade soccer teams made the Diocese of Pittsburgh Soccer League playoffs again! Go Crusaders! (Oct 2019)
- The high school girls cross country team won the WPIAL championships for the fifth year in a row and are headed to the State meet on November 2nd in Hershey. They finished eight points ahead of the second place team. Lily finished fourth for the team and 32nd overall. Trishy finished fifth for the team and 47th overall. The top five runners score for the team. Congratulations Lily and Trishy and the girls co-op cross country team! (Oct 24, 2019)
- All of the high school boys on the co-op cross country team, including Aquinas students Patrick and Eion, ran personal bests at the WPIAL Cross Country Championships! Congratulations! (Oct 24, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy runners ran well at the Diocesan Cross Country Championship on Saturday, October 19th— a great finish to the season! Special congratulations to our medalists: Gianna- 9th overall, and Emily- 24th overall, out of 102 varsity girl runners! (Oct 2019)
- The Girls 5th and 6th Grade Volleyball Co-op Team for Aquinas & Blessed Trinity Academy won their first playoff match 2-1 vs. Holy Cross! The team next competes against Carrick in the 2nd round volleyball playoffs on Wednesday, October 23rd. (Oct 21, 2019)
- The high school cross country girls Aquinas-Vincentian co-op team is the 2019 TSCTA Champion for the second year in a row! The team next competes at the WPIAL Cross Country Championships on Thursday, October 24th. (Oct 18, 2019)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy field hockey team on earning another trip to the WPIAL field hockey playoffs! Their semi-final playoff game is set for Wednesday, October 23rd at Shady Side Academy, where they will take on The Ellis School. (Oct 18, 2019)
- The Aquinas Academy 3rd - 8th grade cross country team ran quite well at the North Area Cross Country Championship. Adam Ohayon finished second overall in the 7/8 boys division. The 7th and 8th grade girls team earned third place overall. The 5th and 6th grade boys team finished fifth overall. Congratulations to all the runners! (Oct 4, 2019)
- Congratulations to John Griffith, violin, and Helayna Baer, cello, both 10th graders, who made it into the PMEA District 1 Honors Orchestra! The concert will be at Fox Chapel High School on November 17th at 4:00 p.m. We are all very proud and excited for both of these talented musicians, who will represent Aquinas Academy in this prestigious group. (Sep 2019)
- The girls Aquinas-Vincentian co-op cross country team placed third at the PIAA Foundation Invitational in Hershey! (Sep 21, 2019)
- Kate McLaughlin shot a personal best of 101 at the WPIAL girls golf individual qualifier! (Sep 18, 2019)
- Congratulations to Liam Ellis, named one of the Top 300 Broadcom MASTERS® in this national middle school STEM competition for his 8th grade science fair project titled “The Bacteria Among Us: Do Bathrooms Have More Germs than Other Surfaces in a School?”. (Sept 2019)
- Best of luck to Kate McLaughlin who will be participating in the High School Girls Golf individual WPIAL qualifier at the Del Mar Golf Course on September 18th! (Sept 2019)
- New this year, Aquinas Academy 5th-8th grade girls are able to play volleyball on a co-op team with Blessed Trinity Academy. The 5th & 6th grade girls co-op team won their first volleyball match, winning 2 games to 1 over Butler Catholic on August 26th! (Sept 2019)
- Over the summer, the students of Aquinas Academy had fun playing in the first ever Aquinas Academy Intramural Futsal League! Five teams competed in this league, all vying to become the first ever league champions. Congratulations to the league winners, the White team: Matt Flynn, Oliver Flynn, Pedro S., William S., and Jude Truschel! (Aug 2019)
- “Aquinas Academy raises more than $500 for Hurricane Harvey relief” (Trib Total Media, Oct 17, 2017)
- Read Aquinas Academy Head of School Leslie Mitros' comments about the the rise of cyber education in the third of “3 Not-So-Simple Questions” in the final part of the Pittsburgh Quarterly Magazine feature. (Sept 2017)
- Head of School, Leslie Mitros, speaks about growth in virtue in response to the second of “3 Not-So-Simple Questions” in part III of the Pittsburgh Quarterly Magazine feature. (Sept 2017)
- Head of School, Leslie Mitros, responds to “3 Not-So-Simple Questions” in the Fall 2017 issue of Pittsburgh Quarterly Magazine . (Aug 2017)
- Head of School, Leslie Mitros, shares what makes Aquinas Academy well worth it in this Pittsburgh Quarterly Magazine article, “A Question of Value: Leaders discuss why independent schools are worth it”. (Aug 2016)
- Aquinas Academy in Hampton ranked No. 1 Catholic School in state by Niche.com (Trib Total Media, Mar 1, 2016)
- We are Number 1! For the second year in a row, Aquinas Academy is ranked at the top of the Best Catholic High Schools in Pennsylvania! (Feb 15, 2016)
- “Eagle Scout projects bring upgrades to Aquinas Academy” (Trib Total Media, Nov 16, 2015)
- “Aquinas Academy celebrates 20th anniversary” (PG Publishing Co., Inc., Aug 21, 2015)
- We are Number 1! Aquinas Academy is ranked at the top of the 2015 Best Catholic High Schools in Pennsylvania and is 29th out of the 2015 Best Catholic High Schools in America! (Aug 2015)
- Aquinas Academy is pleased to begin offering an after school program for the 2015-16 school year. Parents in need of care for their student beyond the school day are invited to meet the new after-day program director, Genny Kozusko, and find out more about the program on Monday evening, May 11th at 5:15pm in Mross–McGonigle Hall. (May 2015)
- “Bishop blesses new Aquinas Academy building.” (Trib Total Media, Mar 30, 2015)
- Students will start school Tuesday, December 9 in the new Mross-McGonigle Hall which will serve as the new home for high school students. The completed $4.85 million dollar building will provide our growing academy with 15 new classrooms, including two state-of-the-art science labs and an arts wing. Lower and middle school students will use the building for art and music classes. (Dec 9, 2014)
- “Aquinas Academy to open new hall” (Post-Gazette, Oct 30, 2014).
View more photos of the building here.
- “Aquinas Academy recognized for excellence.” (Trib Total Media, Sept 24, 2014)
- Aquinas Academy Advisory Program is successful due to the attitude of the faculty - April 4th Pittsburgh Catholic article > content of article (April 4, 2010)
- Aquinas Academy - Highest SAT Average in Southwestern PA > article (February 25, 2007)
Class of 2019 SAT Scores
Success is in the Details
of alumni recognized as National Merit Scholars, Finalists, or Commended students.
The 2019 National Average is 1.4%.
100% of the Class of 2020
scored a passing grade of
3 or higher on their
2019 AP exams.
The 2019 National Average is 59.9% using College Board's AP Score Distribution.
units of blood collected by the Students of Service for the blood bank.
of middle school teachers hold a master’s degree.
Ranked the #1 Catholic High School in the Pittsburgh Area eight years in a row by Niche.com (2015–2022).
Niche finds the "best schools in your area based on statistics, student and parent reviews, and expert insights.
2019 ACRE Scores
ACRE is designed to assist in the evaluation of catechetical/religious education programs in Catholic schools and parishes.
95% National Percentile Rank
on 2019 IOWA Exams for Grades 2–8.
Aquinas students score higher than 95% of schools in the nation.
Over $2,000 donated to pro-life charities by Vivat Vita’s “Cakes for Life” in the last five years.
1st place awarded to groups of 5th graders in the 2017 & 2020 Shakespeare Scene Showcase of Finalists.
83% of High School students played a sport and participated in an additional extracurricular activity during the 2018-19 school year.
45% played two or more sports
College acceptance rate
Average class size
Student to teacher ratio
Masses offered throughout the school year